STEP THREE: CHOOSE A TOPIC
If you have not been assigned a specific topic, choose your topic carefully. Take your time, as this is a critical decision that you will have to live with as you research and write your paper.
Tips for choosing a topic:
- Make sure your topic is relevant to the course.
- Try to find a topic that interests you.
- Your textbook or reading assignments may give you some ideas.
- Do some brainstorming, jotting down ideas that come to mind.
- Often it helps to state your topic as a question to be answered in the course of your paper.
- Make sure your topic is neither too narrow nor too broad, and is clearly defined.
- Don't be afraid to revise or change your topic if you need to and while you still have time.
- Find more suggestions from the BU Writing Center
and Purdue Online Writing Lab (Owl).
Return to Preparing to Write